Have you noticed that something has changed in the air? Spring is finally here and with it comes the promise of sunshine and warmer days. I also noticed a change in my appetite and food choices. Hearty winter dishes have been replaced by lighter meals, with lots of green vegetables and fresh herbs.
I am always amazed by the bounty and abundance of vegetables that we can actually eat on the autoimmune protocol. Such a variety ensures that we never get bored! I don’t know that I am eating #morevegetablesthanavegetarian, but I am definitely looking forward to my daily dose of colorful and nutritious fruits and veggies!
I have been trying to incorporate more seafood in our diet because I am always looking for new ways to consume nutrient-dense foods. Our local Costco has a nice selection of wild caught fish if you get there early! I love it because I can stock up on fresh fish, like the cod I used in this recipe. I will make a big batch that will last us for several meals.
Substitutions: If you don’t have cod on hand, you can use any kind of white fish instead, like tilapia or halibut.
Serving suggestion: Don’t overcook your vegetables! I like them better when they still have a little crunch, especially when paired with fish. Plus it looks prettier on your plate!
- 1½ lbs fresh cod filets (6 oz per person)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- ½ tbsp sea salt
- ½ tbsp dill
- ⅓ cup chopped scallions
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cups finely chopped leeks
- 4 cups chopped yellow squash
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Coat the bottom of a 9x13-in glass baking dish with 1 tbsp olive oil.
- Arrange the fish fillets so they don't overlap.
- Drizzle the fish with 1 tbsp olive oil, then add salt, scallions, and slices of lemon.
- Cook in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, warm up 3 tbsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onions, leeks, yellow squash, and salt.
- Cover and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender but not mushy.
- Serve each portion of cod with a serving of vegetables and some freshly chopped cilantro for the garnish.
- Bon appétit!