This post contains affiliate links. Click here to see what that means!
That being said, we only promote authors, products, and services that we wholeheartedly stand by!
I love roasted vegetables. They taste so scrumptious and what’s more, they pretty much look after themselves in the oven, leaving you to concentrate on other things.
This recipe is a good assortment of colours, textures and flavors but the real beauty is that it can also be completely dependent on seasonal availability, or what you have in your food store. For the veggies you may want to ring the changes by choosing parsnips, sweet potatoes, squash, celeriac or anything else that appeals to your tastebuds and tolerance at the time.
The salsa is a wonderful accompaniment as the full, gutsy flavor balances the sweetness of the ‘roasties’ so well. We love herbs in our house and I use them a lot in my cooking, not just because they are delicious but they are densely packed with nutrients and excellent detoxing capabilities, so I always have an assortment to hand which I keep in a large jug in my refrigerator.
Again, this recipe is versatile. If you really don’t like cilantro, for example, add a soft-leafed herb that you prefer or use extra parsley or dill instead. Also, if you’re watching the FODMAPs, just ditch the garlic. So you see, this recipe really is that simple!
- For the vegetables:
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (or other solid fat)
- 1 bunch rainbow carrots, halved if large
- 8 small beets
- 2 red onions, peeled and quartered (leave the bottom intact to prevent them falling apart)
- 1 medium fennel bulb, quartered and trimmed
- For the salsa verde:
- ½ packed cup flat leaf parsley
- ½ packed cup cilantro
- ½ packed cup dill
- ¼ packed cup basil
- 2 tbsp capers packed in salt, rinsed
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed and peeled
- ½ cup olive oil
- Salt to taste, if needed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200C).
- Heat the oil in a large roasting pan (or divide between two smaller pans), then add the vegetables. Turn them over several times to make sure they are coated in the melted oil and place in the oven for about 40-45 minutes. Turn them mid way through the cooking time so they are nicely browned all over.
- Whilst the vegetables are cooking make the salsa verde. Put all the ingredients, except the salt, into a blender and blend till smooth. Taste and add salt if necessary (though you probably won't need it).
- Serve the roasted vegetables on a platter, with some of the sauce spooned over. Put the remainder in a bowl for people to help themselves.
[…] I bought 4 large bunches of herbs for $5 from my local store recently and promptly made them into a salsa verde. Some went into the freezer for another day but I served the rest with simply roasted organic roots and it was perfect. So easy, so completely tasty and that’s my recipe for Mickey and Angie of Autoimmune-Paleo this month. Check it out here. […]
[…] Roasted Vegetables w/ Salsa Verde […]
Excellent recipe, delish! Going to look for snack recipes now. Thank you!