This post contains affiliate links. Click here to see what that means! That being said, we only promote authors, products, and services that we wholeheartedly stand by!
That being said, we only promote authors, products, and services that we wholeheartedly stand by!
Although I can hardly get sick of greens cooked with coconut oil and salt (my old standby), this is a nice recipe to switch things up. Here I have replaced the dairy and nuts used in a traditional pesto and added coconut, ginger and mint for an autoimmune friendly version. The garlic chips add a little crunch, a texture that is usually missing on this diet. Don’t be afraid to use this pesto on everything – my other favorites are kale, spaghetti squash, and chicken.
- For the Pesto:
- 1 cup coconut water (or blended raw coconut)
- 2 packed cups basil leaves
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1½ inch piece of ginger, peeled
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon ume plum vinegar (coconut vinegar or apple cider vinegar also works)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- a few sprigs of fresh mint
- For the Garlic Chips:
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- For the Broccolini:
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil (re-used from frying the garlic, preferably)
- 4 cups broccolini, washed and bottoms of stems removed
- To make the pesto, place all ingredients into blender and blend on high until incorporated. Keeps for a few days sealed in the refrigerator.
- To make the garlic chips, slice garlic cloves very thinly longwise into chips. Heat the coconut oil in a small saucepan over high heat until it smokes. If there is not enough oil to submerge the chips, add some until there is. Turn heat off, and gently fry chips a few at a time until lightly browned (about 30 seconds) using tongs or chopsticks. Let cool completely on a paper towel to get crispy.
- For the broccolini, heat oil in a cast iron skillet on high heat. Sear the broccoli on high heat for a couple minutes on each side. Turn heat down and let cook covered for about 10 minutes, or until brown and crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. Serve with coconut pesto and garnished with garlic chips.