This post contains affiliate links. Click here to see what that means!
That being said, we only promote authors, products, and services that we wholeheartedly stand by!
I’m pretty sure that I have hispanic blood in me because the bulk of my recipes and meals of choice contain some sort of hispanic influence. When on AIP it can be hard when you miss peppers, tomatoes and cumin. Hopefully this will quench your desire for taco Tuesday. Forsake the tortilla and indulge in the glory of “fried green plantains”.
If you haven’t tried fried green plantains, get ready to thank your lucky stars for stumbling across this delightful recipe. Do you miss white potatoes? I feel for you, I get it. For a starch/carb lover like myself this was one of the hardest things to give up on my AIP journey. The good news is that these fried green plantains will give you just the right amount of starchy goodness you’ve been craving.
Even better news, they’re freakin‘ easy to make. Don’t be overwhelmed by the ingredients, this recipe practically makes itself. If you don’t have an Instant Pot, not to worry! You can cook the beef in your slow cooker or stove for about 4-6 hours on low. Get ready for some tender, fall-apart meat. Enjoy!
- For the beef:
- 3 pounds beef bottom roast
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 2 cups organic beef broth
- 1½ tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- For the plantains:
- 4-5 green plantains
- 1 cup coconut oil (for frying plantains)
- Salt to taste
- Garlic powder to taste
- For the slaw:
- ½ small head red cabbage, thinly shredded
- 3 avocados, peeled and pitted
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ lime, juiced
- 1 green onion, minced
- 2-3 tablespoons cilantro, minced
- ¼ cup water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Slice roast into thirds against the grain and sprinkle the surface of the meat with 1 teaspoon of salt.
- If using an Instant Pot, turn it onto the saute setting and add avocado oil.
- Brown each side of the meat pieces.
- Add broth and apple cider vinegar and pressure cook for 40 minutes.
- Peel plantains and slice into 1½ inch pieces
- Soak plantains in salted water for 20-30 minutes. Set aside.
- In a food processor, combine the avocados, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, lime juice, and water. Set aside.
- Heat coconut oil in a shallow pan on medium high.
- Place plantain pieces, cut side down, into the hot oil.
- Fry each side until the color becomes a bit yellow, about 1-2 minutes each side.
- Place the fried plantains on a flat surface and smash with the underside of a completely flat glass.
- Place smashed plantains back into the oil to fry for another 30 seconds each side.
- Drain excess oil on a paper towel. Add salt and garlic powder to taste.
- Serve by topping the plantains with the shredded cabbage and beef. Top with avocado mixture and enjoy!