This post contains affiliate links. Click here to see what that means!
That being said, we only promote authors, products, and services that we wholeheartedly stand by!
Here’s a very simple, but packed with flavor (not to mention veggies!) salad to fuel you through your spring. I was inspired to make this salad when thinking back to a salad I made often in the early days of my marriage. My husband is a California boy who loved to eat very typical California cuisine when we were first married. I had to learn a lot to prepare that kind of food, because I grew up with the meat and potatoes/comfort food of the Midwest. The food he liked was a blend of flavor profiles, like Asian and Mexican, it was full of fresh vegetables, fruit, lean meat, and seafood. Think smoothies, sushi, and loads of salad. Trying to make my new love happy (the way to a man’s heart is through the stomach, right!?), I began whipping up a salad with every conceivable veggie, plus chicken that had been dusted in a mixture of cornstarch and ginger. It fried up crispy and I found I loved it too. Cornstarch is off the table on AIP though, so all these years later, I am back with an AIP-version of the salad from my honeymoon days. (And yes, my sweetheart loves it.)
- 3 cups packed mixed greens
- 5 green onions, diced
- 1 small cucumber, cut into match sticks
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 whole chicken breast, chopped
- ¼ cup cassava flour
- 1 tablespoon powdered ginger
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup olive oil
- Layer all greens, onion, cucumber, celery, and carrot into a serving bowl.
- Mix flour, powdered ginger, and salt. Dredge chicken through flour mixture, shaking off excess flour.
- Melt coconut oil in heavy-bottom skillet over medium-high heat.
- When oil is hot, quickly fry chicken until cooked through, turning pieces to brown.
- Drain chicken on a paper towel lined dish. Spread chicken over top of salad.
- Combine fresh ginger, garlic, vinegar, and oil in a jar with a very tight lid.
- Shake vigorously to combine.
- Pour over salad and serve.