This post contains affiliate links. Click here to see what that means!
That being said, we only promote authors, products, and services that we wholeheartedly stand by!
When it comes to cooking, one thing I adore are easy recipes that look fancy. In my opinion the absolutely best tasting food is also normally the most simplistic. The ingredients aren’t elaborate and the process is relatively effortless, but the result on the other side is not only delicious, it looks incredible and pulls you in to the dinner table.
These kinds of recipes can make it on to holiday menus, but can also turn weeknight meals into something special. I hope you’ll find this recipe does just what I’m describing here for your next family meal!
- 1 3-4 lb chicken, spatchcocked (there are excellent instructions on how to spatchcock in this recipe)
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp coarse sea salt
- 2 cups seedless red grapes
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced (I used Baby Bella mushrooms)
- 1 tbsp canned pumpkin
- ½ cup white wine (you can also use broth or white wine vinegar)
- ¼ cup full-fat coconut milk
- 2-3 sprigs fresh thyme
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F.
- Combine the thyme, garlic powder, and sea salt in a small bowl and set aside.
- Place the thoroughly dried chicken, skin side up, on a parchment lined baking sheet and set aside.
- In a skillet cook bacon until browned and crisp. Remove, drain on paper towels, and reserve the rendered bacon fat.
- Use a pastry brush to coat the chicken skin with the bacon fat. Sprinkle with the seasoning mixture. Arrange the lemons around the chicken.
- Roast the chicken, uncovered, for 25 mins. Tuck bunches of grapes around the chicken and return to oven for 25 more mins. or until the breast meat reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, in a skillet over medium heat cook and stir onion, shallot, and garlic in the remaining bacon fat for 4 mins. Add mushrooms, cook and stir for 5 more mins. Add pumpkin, wine, coconut milk, and fresh thyme. Cook and stir until sauce is thickened and bubbly. Stir in crisped bacon.
- Serve chicken with lemons, grapes, and generous ladles of sauce.