This post contains affiliate links. Click here to see what that means!
That being said, we only promote authors, products, and services that we wholeheartedly stand by!
We have a tradition in our house, that whenever someone comes down with a cold or flu, we make a variation of my “sick soup,” which has become one of the most popular recipes on this blog! In the three years that have past since that recipe was posted, the way we make it at home has morphed a little bit — thicker, with more greens and herbs. In fact, my husband Noah is to credit for the current iteration which we are fixed on, having come up with it when he became sick while I was away!
This soup has more than one thing going for it — it is easy to make, with simple ingredients, and incorporates lots of goodies you’ll want to include when you are sick (broth, greens, ginger, and garlic!). Not to mention it keeps fabulously well in the fridge and freezer.
Pro tip — ginger and garlic are potent additions any time you feel like you are fighting something. While this recipe has quite a kick as-written, we often add some additional raw ginger and garlic to the blender when the time comes to mix everything up. Be cautious though — these spices are pretty strong in their raw form, so a little goes a long way!
- 2 tbsp solid cooking fat (coconut oil works great here)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-in piece ginger, peeled and minced
- 3 cups bone broth
- 1 medium white sweet potato, cubed (about 3 cups)
- 2 small/1 large head of broccoli, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 bunch kale, chopped
- 1 lemon, ½ zested and juice reserved
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 bunch cilantro
- Avocado for garnish
- Place the fat in the bottom of a heavy-bottomed pot on medium heat. When the fat has melted and the pan is hot, add the onions, and cook, stirring, for 5-7 minutes, or until lightly browned and translucent. Add the garlic and ginger, and cook for another minute, or until fragrant.
- Add the bone broth, sweet potato, and broccoli to the pot and bring to a boil. Turn down to a simmer, cover, and cook for 10-15 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Turn off the heat, add the kale, half of the bunch of cilantro, lemon zest and juice, and sea salt.
- Let cool for a few minutes, and blend with a high-powered blender or immersion blender until smooth.
- Serve warm garnished with avocado and cilantro.