This post contains affiliate links. Click here to see what that means!
That being said, we only promote authors, products, and services that we wholeheartedly stand by!
Welcome to The Autoimmune Wellness Podcast Season 1! We’ve created this podcast as a free resource to accompany our upcoming book, The Autoimmune Wellness Handbook: A DIY Guide to Living Well with Chronic Illness.
Episode #10: Step 5: Breathe – Our Stories is an episode all about our real experiences with stress, from how things look when stress is seriously mismanaged to the impact of our ideal routines. We talk about how autoimmune disease itself is a source of stress that cannot be changed and how we’ve approached that, as well as “good” stress like parenting or running a successful business. We both share the things we do that are most effective in our efforts to control stress and give tips for you to try out in your own stress management process. This episode is a great match for listeners who want to know if we are zen masters or real human beings!
If you aren’t sure if Step 5: Breathe, needs your attention, check out the “Where Are You on the Stress-Management Spectrum” self-test in Chapter 5. This test will help you identify if this is a low, moderate, or high-priority area. Moderate and high-priority scores means this area needs your action.
How to listen:
If you’d like to download the .mp3, you can do so by following this link.
If you’d like to play the episode right now in your browser, use the player below!
- 0:00 Intro
- 1:51 The importance of Breathe
- 2:23 Angie shares what happens when she mismanages stress
- 4:03 Mickey shares what happens when she mismanages stress
- 5:30 Physical illness as the result of run-away stress
- Angie shares about coming down with Mono
- 9:13 Parenting and other sources of “good” stress
- 11:23 Mickey’s stress management routine
- 14:51 Angie’s stress management routine
- Practicing Gratitude (public expressions of appreciation)
- 17:23 Angie talks about finding ways to disconnect even as a business owner
- Taking personal breaks results in professional rewards
- 19:06 Mickey talks about finding great joy in work with boundaries
- 20:04 “The Friday Feeling” (you guys know what we’re talking about!)
- 21:41 Specific stress management steps mentioned in The Autoimmune Wellness Handbook that have meant to most for us
- Reframe (and the positive impact on dealing with autoimmune disease)
- 24:56 The power of reframing for managing stress that cannot be changed
- 25:24 Self-care is not selfish (specifically for mothers)
- Angie discusses “The Plane Crash” scenario
- 27:40 Daily/Weekly/Monthly/Yearly habits to cultivate for stress management
- 32:00 The importance of vacations, both short and longer breaks
- 35:00 Your homework for Step 5, Breathe!
- Try out the “Mindfulness Tips” in Chapter 5 of The Autoimmune Wellness Handbook to try out ways to bring your mind into greater awareness of your present experiences.
- 35:21 Outro
Wait–before you go!
If you enjoyed the podcast, would you mind leaving us a review in iTunes? This helps introduce our work to a new audience as we climb the ranks in their system.
The Autoimmune Wellness Podcast is a complimentary resource to our forthcoming book, The Autoimmune Wellness Handbook: A DIY Guide to Living Well with Chronic Illness. Support us in our mission to revolutionize how autoimmune disease is viewed and treated by pre-ordering your copy today!
Pre-order your copy:
// Barnes & Noble
Check out the previous episode, Episode #9: Dan Pardi on Sleeping Optimally, and the next episode, Episode #11: Jason Handler, Lac. on Stress Management. For the full podcast archive, click here.