This post contains affiliate links. Click here to see what that means!
That being said, we only promote authors, products, and services that we wholeheartedly stand by!
Winter IS here. It is settled in and not in a hurry to move on. I generally have quite the struggle staying positive and happy during the winter months. Rather than spend these cold, overcast months depressed and binge watching “The Great British Baking Show” on Netflix, I am doing my best to create the most Hygge winter yet.
If you haven’t heard of Hygge (pronounced hew-ga), it is a Danish/Norwegian word for “cozy”. It incorporates all things cozy: candles, epsom salt and lavender baths, blankets, warm socks, soft sweaters, crackling firewood, etc. Thanks to YouTube, I can have a faux fireplace playing for 10 hours straight.
This Tom Kha Gai recipe is sure to give you all the Hygge feels to get you through this winter. If you’re needing a bit of healing after the holidays add bone broth rather than chicken stock. Get those extra nutrients including L-Glutamine and collagen to support the repair of the gut. I sent this to a friend who was in the midst of a Crohns flare up. The ginger and turmeric are both anti-inflammatory agents to provide relief to any irritation in the digestive system.
I hope that you will be inspired by this recipe to create a healing and Hygge season for yourself. Cozy wishes to you my friend!
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ½ shallot, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed or minced
- 3 lemongrass stalks (3-4 inches each)
- 1 inch ginger, sliced
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 8 cups chicken stock or bone broth
- 3 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups beech mushrooms or mushroom of choice
- 3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped
- 1 cup cilantro, minced
- ½ cup basil, chiffonade
- 16 ounce can coconut milk
- 1 small lime, juiced
- In a large stock-pot, sauté coconut oil, shallots, and garlic on medium-high heat.
- Once the shallots are translucent, add broth, coconut aminos, lemon grass, ginger, turmeric and salt.
- Bring to a boil and the bring temperature down to medium-low. Steep for 25 minutes.
- Discard the ginger and lemongrass bits.
- Add chicken and mushrooms. Simmer for 10 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked.
- Remove from heat and add coconut milk, lime juice, basil and cilantro. Serve warm.