This post contains affiliate links. Click here to see what that means! That being said, we only promote authors, products, and services that we use ourselves and wholeheartedly stand by. To learn more about how we earn money here on Autoimmune Wellness, head on over to our Promotional Policy.
That being said, we only promote authors, products, and services that we use ourselves and wholeheartedly stand by. To learn more about how we earn money here on Autoimmune Wellness, head on over to our Promotional Policy.
These blueberry crumble bars are made with a sweet, slightly tangy, blueberry filling sandwiched between a grain-free shortbread crust and crumble. They are easy to make, AIP and always popular when shared with friends.
- For the blueberry filling:
- 2 cups blueberries
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- For lemon juice slurry to thicken filling:
- juice of 1 lemon (at least ¼ cup)
- 1½ tablespoons tapioca starch
- For the crust / topping:
- 2 cups Beth Blends grain-free flour blend
- ⅓ cup palm oil or coconut oil
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line an 8x8-inch square baking dish with parchment paper.
- Crust/ Topping: Mix all crust ingredients together in a medium bowl. Stir until well combined and you have a slightly sticky, sand-like texture.
- Press about ½ or up to ¾ (depending on how much you want for your topping) of the dough into the lined baking dish in an even layer. Use a fork to poke holes just at the top of the crust to allow steam to vent.
- Bake the crust at 350 degrees F for 10 to 15 minutes until golden and then remove from the oven and set aside.
- Berry Filling: Add the blueberries, maple syrup and vanilla to a non-stick pot. Bring the berries to a boil and let them cook for 10 minutes.
- While the berries are cooking, whisk together the lemon juice and tapioca until well combined.
- Once the berries have cooked, remove them from the heat, allow to cool slightly (about 5 minutes) and stir in the tapioca slurry until well combined and the berries have thickened.
- Assembling the Bars: Pour the thickened blueberry filling over the par-baked crust and spread out into an even layer to cover all of your crust.
- Now, use your fingers to sprinkle the crumble topping evenly over the filling.
- Bake the bars at 350 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes until filling is bubbly around the edges and the topping begins to turn golden brown.
- Let the bars cool completely before slicing. Enjoy!