This post contains affiliate links. Click here to see what that means! That being said, we only promote authors, products, and services that we use ourselves and wholeheartedly stand by. To learn more about how we earn money here on Autoimmune Wellness, head on over to our Promotional Policy.
That being said, we only promote authors, products, and services that we use ourselves and wholeheartedly stand by. To learn more about how we earn money here on Autoimmune Wellness, head on over to our Promotional Policy.
This quick and delicious soup comes together super quickly with the help of the Instant Pot and tastes like a warm hug because of the combination of warming spices. A great hearty soup as it is, or topped with shrimp or chicken. Perfect for the drizzly spring days and a great way to use up the remainder of the hoard of butternut squash left in your pantry or garage. This soup is one of my favorites to batch prep and freeze because it scales so easily and retains its silky texture even after defrosting, and because it is blended you don’t need to spend a ton of time prepping your ingredients either! You really can’t go wrong having soup in your freezer stash for those days where you’re short on time or energy and you just want something warm and comforting.
Don’t have an Instant Pot? It can be made without by roasting the squash on a sheet pan, covered with foil in a 350 degree F oven for 30-45 minutes (until tender), then complete the remaining steps in a heavy-bottomed pot on the stovetop.
- 1 kabocha/kuri kuri squash (or pie pumpkin), halved with seeds removed
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 4 cloves crushed garlic
- ½ cup coconut cream (more to garnish if desired)
- 2 cups chicken bone broth
- 1 stalk lemongrass, roughly chopped or grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- Instant Pot Method:
- Halve squash, place cut side down on top of rack. Add ¼ cup water, set to manual-high, for 7 minutes. Quick release the steam when done cooking. Remove squash and rack from Instant Pot. Discard any remaining water.
- Set Instant Pot to saute, add oil, garlic, onion and spices/salt. Cook just until fragrant.
- Add coconut cream.
- Scoop squash into Instant Pot, set to keep warm.
- Puree with immersion blender, adding chicken stock while blending to reach desired consistency. Taste for seasoning, add additional salt as desired.
- Serve topped with toasted coconut, chopped cilantro and a swirl of coconut cream to make it extra decadent.