This post contains affiliate links. Click here to see what that means! That being said, we only promote authors, products, and services that we wholeheartedly stand by!
That being said, we only promote authors, products, and services that we wholeheartedly stand by!
The family that I cook for has two little girls whose favorite food is Indonesian goat curry – pretty great for five and eight year olds! They have a local restaurant that they go to frequently to get their fix, but one day I decided to surprise them and cook it for them at home, using beef from their CSA instead. After making some substitutions, I settled on this recipe that is suitable for the autoimmune protocol. The recipe is slightly sweet from all of the coconut and onion, but still packing a curry punch (without the nightshades!). If you have been a little bored on the autoimmune protocol and would like to try some new flavors, this one is for you!
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1 bunch of cilantro, stalks and leaves separated
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 inch piece of ginger, peeled
- 1 lime, zested and juice reserved
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 6 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup coconut concentrate
- 1 cup bone broth
- 2 pounds beef stew meat
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos (optional)
- 1 head cauliflower, processed into "rice" with a food processor
- Toast the coconut flakes gently in a skillet over low heat, stirring until lightly browned and fragrant. Transfer to a food processor with the onion, the cilantro stalks, garlic, ginger, and lime zest and process until a thick paste forms.
- Heat the one tablespoon of the coconut oil in the bottom of a heavy-bottomed pot and add the coconut mixture. Cook 5-10 minutes, until mixture is sticky.
- Add the kaffir lime leaves, cinnamon stick, turmeric, sea salt, coconut concentrate, bone broth and stew meat. Cook covered at a bare simmer for 1½-2 hours, until beef is very tender.
- While the beef is cooking saute the cauliflower "rice" in the remaining coconut oil until cooked, about 10 minutes. When the curry is finished, stir through the cilantro leaves, lime, and coconut aminos. Serve on top of cauliflower "rice".