This post contains affiliate links. Click here to see what that means!
That being said, we only promote authors, products, and services that we wholeheartedly stand by!
I often get questions about why I don’t have many recipes including pork on my site, and the biggest reason is that I came to the Autoimmune Protocol by way of Dr. Kharrazian’s Autoimmune Hypothyroidism Diet. This diet is very similar to AIP except that he omits pork and mushrooms. I don’t think it is necessary to omit pork while on the Autoimmune Protocol, provided it comes from healthy, pastured animals and is not processed with any food chemicals, gluten, or nightshade spices (as a lot of conventional pork products available to us are).
I learned this sear-roasting method from Josh Weissman’s cookbook, The Slim Palate Cookbook. I had never had such a tender, flavorful chop until I tried his method, and I was so excited about it I decided to whip up and share an Autoimmune-Protocol compliant version here. These are super simple to make, taste amazing, and really easy to incorporate into a weeknight meal.
- To prepare the pork chops, make a few slices through the fatty outer section of the chops, being careful not to slice the meat. Place them on a plate and let them come to room temperature before cooking.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Combine the minced fresh herbs and sea salt in a small bowl.
- Heat the solid cooking fat in the bottom of a skillet on medium high heat. Meanwhile, rub the herb mixture all over both sides of the chops right before cooking.
- When the fat has melted and the pan is hot, sear the pork chops for 2-3 minutes on the first side, and a minute on the second. When they are finished, pick up one of the chops with tongs and sear the fatty outer layer of one chop for about 30 seconds, and then repeating for the other chop once finished, returning both to the pan on the same side.
- Place in the oven and cook for 10 minutes, or until an internal thermometer reads 140. If your chops are thinner than 1" thick, they may not need as long in the oven.