According to research, an aspect of Paleo nutrition is to balance our intake of acidic and alkaline foods. I can definitely tell the difference just in how I feel when I’m imbalanced in that area, especially when I’m a little more on the acidic side. My body always appreciates when I’m able to incorporate more alkaline foods into my diet. Hence, the birth of this simple, alkaline salad.
This particular recipe is what I go by to meal prep it as lunch for my work week — double win for this busy working mama! I like to stack it in my jar in the order I want it to land on the bowl/plate, top it with a protein I’ll have packed on the side, followed by a squeeze of fresh lemon and dressing of my choice!
- 5 cups lettuce of your choice, rough chopped
- 5 cups baby spinach
- ½ cucumber, chopped
- 7 dates, seeds removed and chopped
- 1 lemon, cut into quartered wedges
- 1 AIP-friendly balsamic vinaigrette or salad dressing of choice (amount as desired)
- 5 mason jars (if meal prepping)
- Optional toppings: chicken, chopped bacon and/or protein of choice
- Clean and prepare all ingredients. Assemble salad in a large bowl, or assemble jars.
- If prepping jar meals as pictured, add ingredients in this order: chopped dates, cucumbers, lettuce, spinach leaves, and place a lemon quarter on top just before sealing.
- Give salad a fresh squeeze of lemon just before topping with dressing of choice. Enjoy!