This post contains affiliate links. Click here to see what that means!
That being said, we only promote authors, products, and services that we wholeheartedly stand by!
Welcome to The Autoimmune Wellness Podcast Season 1! We’ve created this podcast as a free resource to accompany our upcoming book, The Autoimmune Wellness Handbook: A DIY Guide to Living Well with Chronic Illness.
Episode #5: Step 2: In-Depth with Dr. Titus Chiu is a conversation with award-winning professor, chiropractic neurologist, and functional medicine expert on practical collaboration and the overall collaborative spirit when it comes to healthcare. Titus talks with us about the specifics of collaboration between conventional and natural practitioners, including why the breakdowns in communication often occur. He also shares why he believes there is a new and positive future for a more collaborative healthcare environment. The best part of this episode comes at the end, when Titus talks about the deep root of meaningful collaboration (we wish every doctor approached communication like this!). This episode is awesome for insight into the healthcare experience from the “other side” of the exam table.
If you’d like to go more in-depth on Step 2: Collaborate, check out the “How Do You Build A Collaborative Team” section in Chapter 2. This section is very relevant to the guidance Titus shares in this episode.
How to listen:
If you’d like to download the .mp3, you can do so by following this link.
If you’d like to play the episode right now in your browser, use the player below!
- 0:00 Intro
- 1:50 Introducing Titus
- 3:20 Titus shares about his experience with illness and injury bringing him to healthcare
- He was hit by a car in Japan and that changed everything!
- 5:50 Titus tells us what an ideal patient looks like to a physician
- 9:23 Achieving deeper healing by facing our “demons” on the wellness journey
- 10:03 What does collaboration with doctors in the conventional system look like?
- Titus shares that this most often just looks like referrals
- 11:38 How does practical communication occur between conventional and natural practitioners?
- Titus reveals that it is a combination of sending reports on a patient’s progress and relaying information through the patient (this reinforces that we need to be the leaders of our healthcare teams!).
- 14:53 Why is there a breakdown in communication between the two systems according to Titus?
- 16:20 Titus talks about why he believes there is a positive future for collaborative healthcare based on three points:
- More open doctors
- More open patients
- Technology advances
- 20:23 How should a patient handle a non-collaborative doctor?
- 22:30 How can you effectively communicate your own knowledge when initiating a collaborative relationship with your doctor?
- Titus talks about his very special, caring approach to patients who are overwhelming in their personal health research
- 31:20 Outro
Wait–before you go!
If you enjoyed the podcast, would you mind leaving us a review in iTunes? This helps introduce our work to a new audience as we climb the ranks in their system.
The Autoimmune Wellness Podcast is a complimentary resource to our forthcoming book, The Autoimmune Wellness Handbook: A DIY Guide to Living Well with Chronic Illness. Support us in our mission to revolutionize how autoimmune disease is viewed and treated by pre-ordering your copy today!
Pre-order your copy:
// Barnes & Noble