This post contains affiliate links. Click here to see what that means!
That being said, we only promote authors, products, and services that we wholeheartedly stand by!
Welcome to The Autoimmune Wellness Podcast Season 1! We’ve created this podcast as a free resource to accompany our upcoming book, The Autoimmune Wellness Handbook: A DIY Guide to Living Well with Chronic Illness.
Episode #6: Step 3: Nourish – Our Stories is all about what the real-life process of using the elimination and reintroduction format of the Autoimmune Protocol has looked like for us. Although we started the journey close to five years ago, the actual process, beginning with those first steps, is still very fresh in our minds. We share how we found AIP (at a time when the abundant resources and large support community did not exist), what we really ate before adopting AIP (one of us was a junk-food junky!), and what transitioning was like. We also discuss how we approached the reintroduction process, what has and has not worked, and how we were able to discern reactions that can seem confusing to spot. If you’ve ever wondered what we honestly eat and whether or not this was ever tough for us too, this episode is for you!
If you’ve already tried AIP and would like to go more in-depth on Step 3: Nourish, check out the “Troubleshooting” section in Chapter 3 for ideas on underlying issues that could be preventing progress. This section is packed with valuable details, including food guidance to help ease symptoms of common roadblocks.
How to listen:
If you’d like to download the .mp3, you can do so by following this link.
If you’d like to play the episode right now in your browser, use the player below!
- 0:00 Intro
- 1:51 The first concrete step toward wellness, Nourish
- 2:48 How did Mickey find AIP?
- ￼4:56 How did Angie find AIP?
- ￼7:55 Mickey’s diet pre-AIP
- ￼10:55 Angie’s diet pre-AIP
- 13:41 Angie’s transition to AIP
- The cold-turkey approach
- 14:46 How long did the elimination phase last for Angie?
- 15:15 Mickey’s transition and elimination phase length
- The slow and steady approach
- 17:36 A note of being aware of positive progress
- 18:10 What changes made the biggest differences for Mickey?
- The argument for nutrient density
- ￼19:44 What changes made the biggest differences for Angie?
- 20:32 Angie’s reintroduction experience and foods that produced reactions
- White potato
- 23:18 Mickey’s reintroduction experience and foods that produced reactions
- Sesame Seed
- 27:00 Balance with the AIP process
- 28:14 Angie’s diet now
- 29:40 Mickey’s diet now
- 31:33 Noting the issue of “thresholds” with reintroduced foods overtime
- 31:49 Bio-individuality in reintroduction (despite shared diagnosis)
- 34:13 Your homework for Step 3, Nourish!
- Take a look at the “Which Way Will Work for You” quiz in Chapter 3 of The Autoimmune Wellness Handbook to help you identify the transitioning style that is best for you if you want to take the plunge with AIP and use the handy guides after the quiz to show you how to get the ball rolling in a way best matched to your style.
- 35:24 Outro
Wait–before you go!
If you enjoyed the podcast, would you mind leaving us a review in iTunes? This helps introduce our work to a new audience as we climb the ranks in their system.
The Autoimmune Wellness Podcast is a complimentary resource to our forthcoming book, The Autoimmune Wellness Handbook: A DIY Guide to Living Well with Chronic Illness. Support us in our mission to revolutionize how autoimmune disease is viewed and treated by pre-ordering your copy today!
Pre-order your copy:
// Barnes & Noble
Check out the previous episode, Episode #5: Titus Chiu, DC on Practitioner Collaboration, and the next episode, Episode #7: Aglaee Jacob, RD on Nourishing Diets. For the full podcast archive, click here.