This post contains affiliate links. Click here to see what that means!
That being said, we only promote authors, products, and services that we wholeheartedly stand by!
Welcome to The Autoimmune Wellness Podcast Season 1! We’ve created this podcast as a free resource to accompany our upcoming book, The Autoimmune Wellness Handbook: A DIY Guide to Living Well with Chronic Illness.
Episode #2: Step 1: Inform – Our Stories is focused on the process we went through in getting diagnosis and then educating ourselves about testing, treatment, and prognosis. This episode is very personal, but we felt that revealing to our listeners what our early struggles were like was a valuable way to demonstrate that you can “figure it all out” and achieve wellness. We explain how informing ourselves, though daunting, was crucial to facing autoimmune disease with far less fear.
If you’d like to go more in-depth on Step 1: Inform, check out the “Where Are You On The Spectrum – Autoimmune Status Self-Test” or the “Practicing Resilience” section in Chapter 1 of our book. The self-test can help inform you on the next logical steps to take with chronic illness you might be facing and the resilience guide offers positive ways to cope with diagnosis (something that can be a low point emotionally).
How to listen:
If you’d like to download the .mp3, you can do so by following this link.
If you’d like to play the episode right now in your browser, use the player below!
- 0:00 Introduction
- 1:45 What is Inform?
- 3:34 How information results in less fear
- 3:30 Taking responsibility for getting informed
- 4:18 When Angie knew it was time to “get informed”
- 5:06 When Mickey knew it was time to “get informed”
- 6:14 Mickey’s diagnosis story
- Hashimoto’s and celiac disease
- Also see her blog series on the topic here.
- 10:24 Angie’s diagnosis story
- Lichen sclerosis, endometriosis, and celiac disease
- 14:00 Misdiagnosis setbacks
- 16:10 The power in the correct “label”
- 17:26 How Mickey coped with her diagnosis
- 21:40 How Angie coped with her diagnosis
- 23:40 The value of having a diagnosis vs. not being able to get one
- 24:50 Angie’s experience with testing and treatment for her autoimmune diseases
- 27:30 Mickey’s method of gathering and storing medical information
- 30:00 Angie’s method of gathering and storing medical information
- 31:40 Your homework for step 1, Inform!
- Take a look at the “Autoimmune Status Self-Test” on p. 9 of The Autoimmune Wellness Handbook to inform you about where to move next in terms of diagnosis, treatment, and lifestyle changes to manage your autoimmune disease.
- 33:55 Outro
Wait–before you go!
If you enjoyed the podcast, would you mind leaving us a review in iTunes? This helps introduce our work to a new audience as we climb the ranks in their system.
The Autoimmune Wellness Podcast is a complimentary resource to our forthcoming book, The Autoimmune Wellness Handbook: A DIY Guide to Living Well with Chronic Illness. Support us in our mission to revolutionize how autoimmune disease is viewed and treated by pre-ordering your copy today, using the links provided below!
Pre-order your copy:
// Barnes & Noble
Check out the previous episode, Episode #1: What is the Autoimmune Wellness Journey?, and the next episode, Episode #3: Sarah Ballantyne, PhD on Getting Informed. For the full podcast archive, click here.